Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas 2011


As we've gotten ready for Christmas, I feel like a little kid again.  I can hardly wait to see this special day through the eyes and experiences of a two year old.  He has been asking for a Buzz Lightyear toy for months.  I am dying to see his reaction when he receives the gift tomorrow.  (I hope he's as excited as I've pictured him to be in my head).  

Listening to Christmas music is always a favorite of mine.  W has fallen in love with the Frosty the Snowman song.  He about jumps out of his seat when we hear it on the radio, and his excitement turns to frustration when the song ends and a new one begins.  Today, we were all talking in the kitchen and Christmas music was on in the background.  Over all of the noise W shouts, "Listen!" and puts his finger to his mouth.  We all quieted and, sure enough, Frosty the Snowman was on.  He was thrilled.  

I have loved reading books about Christ's birth, and seeing W pick out "Murry" (Mary), Joseph and Baby Jesus.  He knows the shepherds and their "sheepies."  He knows the wisemen brought prizes.  W knows Jesus was born in the city of David ("Hey, that's my daddy!") and He grew to be a good man, Jesus Christ. 

My favorite moment this season was just a few days ago.  Like many, each year D and I identify a family who could use some extra help to meet their needs; families whose burdens could be lightened a bit.*  So we found this certain family and put some things together that would be special for the kids and needed by the parents.  One night, we all loaded into the car and drove to the family's apartment.  I left the bag of goods on the porch, knocked on the door, and ran to the car.  We zipped away just in time to go unnoticed.  I was nervous.  D was focused.  And W was just plain excited.  On the way home, we were trying to explain to W the details of the deed.  What it came down to was a simple way to show Winston what Christmas is; it's a time for us to remember Jesus Christ and share the love he has for us with others.  We celebrate Christ by doing what he would do.  It was a special night for all of us.
*I hesitantly share this strictly for journaling purposes.  

I am already looking forward to next Christmas and this one hasn't even happened yet!  

3 comments:

Ben and Beccalee said...

Great post. And one of the best kids-n-Santa pix I've ever seen. Serious.

Lizbeth said...

Love all your Christmas posts! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

Meg said...

SO cute how the kids fall in love with different aspects (or 'characters' or symbols) or Christmas. The photo almost looks like it is of Dave when he was a kid. Quality!