Sunday, April 10, 2011

Happy birthday

Little Elizabeth was born March 31, 2011.  It was a bit weird knowing ahead of time exactly when this baby was going to arrive.  Kind of odd to think, "OK, let's go have a baby now."  Regardless, we arrived at the hospital at 5:30 a.m.  However, the hospital was expecting us at 3:30 a.m. for a 5:30 delivery.  Apparently there was a mix up between the hospital and my doctor's office.  Thankfully, we were able to schedule between other surgeries, and Elizabeth made her entrance into the world at 8:44 a.m.  

This delivery went so smoothly and was much less exhausting (physically and emotionally) than Winston's.  Coincidentally, I had the same anesthesiologist as last time -- Robyn.  She is amazing and has such a soothing, calm voice.  And let's be honest, when a doctor is pulling apart your innards to reach your baby, you need someone behind the curtain with you to help you relax and follow the procedure.  Since I hadn't labored for so many hours before having to have the c-section as I did with Winston, I was able to be much more alert throughout the surgery.  My doctor and the assistant were shocked at how high the baby was in my abdomen.  (No kidding!)  It required a little elbow grease to get her down enough to even reach her.  I'll never forget the doctor telling me baby was here, then hearing her little voice cry out for the first time while they walked her around to show her to me.  It made me cry, I was so happy.  I caught a glimpse of Dave wiping his eyes, too.  It was amazing to be in the freezing cold operating room and yet feel so warm and almost at home as the new little baby entered the world.  Though it wasn't a traditional birth, it was a beautiful, reassuring experience, nonetheless.  And I was reminded how lucky I am to have a body that is strong and healthy to be able grow and develop a little person.  

Just after delivery, Dave and I got to hold and get to know our new baby.  It's always kind of shocking to examine all the little features of this baby that looks so much like you and so much like your other half.  It's humbling to think of the new responsibility, and exciting to think of your new future.  Though she didn't have a name yet, it was so special to just sit in the quiet room together with this little person and just take it all in.  

foot stamp
 8lb 4 oz 20.5 inches and "sky high!" according to my doctor
Different blood types mean jaundice is almost a given.  Little girl spent much of her time in the hospital in her space suit on the bilirubin light.
on the bili bed
 loooong, beautiful toes
 looong, spider fingers
 MaMom
 and SheShe
first impression?  a hug.  
 then a kiss
wasn't sure what to do the first time he heard her cry
 showing sister where his eyes are
 loved her first hair wash


We're so glad you're here, Elizabeth!

4 comments:

Kilper Corner said...

So amazing! I am so happy for your family. She looks perfect. I love all the photos!!! Yay! Can't wait to meet her!

Sharstin said...

she is definitely a beauty! congrats to you and your cute fam~

Lizbeth said...

Yay sister!!! I am so happy for us! I reaaaaaaally cannot wait to meet her :)

Christie said...

She is so beautiful. I love that picture of her with Sherry. So sweet. I can't wait to meet her tomorrow! Yay!