Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thankful: And showing it


Five years ago my mom started a personal project called "Laps for Learning."  For two weeks straight, she heads to the pool and swims and swims and swims.  Talk about water logged.  She usually swims about two miles a day.  Two miles!  It is physically taxing on her, but just as rejuvenating, as well.

The purpose of her swims was to raise money for a particular charitable organization she was closely involved with.  The funds she has raised through Laps for Learning have directly helped children in Zambia (education), Kenya (education) and Nepal (clean water).

This year (and last) my mom is swimming for an organization called Haitian Roots.  I've mentioned it before.  This year she swam almost 30 miles to raise funds to help Haitian Roots put kids through school.  Thirty miles, people!

My mom isn't shy about asking for help.  She sends out hundreds of letters and makes personal calls to invite people to support her in supporting Haitian Roots.  She is passionate about Haitian Roots and the good work it does for children in Haiti.  Moreover, she is passionate about her ability to make change, contribute and serve.  Her mantra is, "I swim, you donate, children learn."

If you want to help children receive an education in Haiti, support my mom in her Laps for Learning project.  ALL of the money (every penny, 100%) goes to Haitian Roots which will provide educational support for so many kids.  Currently, it costs about $240 for one child to go through a year of schooling.  My mom is hoping to raise $5,000 this year.  That will send 20 kids to school!

Check out the Haitian Roots website here.  Or you can send a check to my mom who will send it along to Haitian Roots.

I am of the opinion that it's easy to be thankful for all of the great things in life.  But it is sharing all of these blessings that is the true measure of gratitude.  I certainly have a lot to be thankful for.  I suppose I better get on with the sharing part.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Wow, what a wonderful mom you have there. Truly an inspiration.

I just caught up on the blog...Happy Baby Girl news!! That is so great. A little gal pal for Mr. Winston. Love it. I hope all is well with you. Keep on keepin' on cute lady. April will be here before you know it.