Wednesday, November 4, 2009

An Ensign to the World

I went out to the mailbox this afternoon not expecting anything more exciting than bills. When I opened the box, it almost looked empty. I had to turn my head to look all the way to the back to discover a lone magazine; the ENSIGN arrived. I'll be honest, my heart doesn't jump every time I receive this monthly mag, and today seemed no different. So I ripped open the plastic wrapping and took a glimpse of the front cover. But this time, my passive feelings changed just by looking a the cover.
The front cover depicts the story of King Benjamin addressing his people who pitched their tents toward the temple to hear his teachings of service, humility and repentance. King Benjamin petitioned his people to "...be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works." He urged them to teach their children to "...walk in the ways of truth" and to "...love one another, and to serve one another." Regardless of one's beliefs, these are enlightened principles that bring strength to those who heed the counsel.
Today I am thankful for not only the reminder of the prophetic words of King Benjamin, but for the chance I have to review the prophetic messages shared during the last General Conference. I am thankful to be able to read -- verbatim -- the words spoken by the Prophet's voice and the counsel given by the Apostles of Jesus Christ. I am thankful to review the brief notes I took while listening to the Conference and be reminded of the feelings I had and the re-commitments I made. I am thankful for the gentle reminder of the things I need to do that God might "...seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, though the wisdom and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all."

No comments: