Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom

I love Mother's Day.  While I'm not so much into the commercial side of it all, I think Mother's Day is a much-needed day for every person to think about their mothers and the influences they've had in our lives.  
I love my mom.  She is the perfect, ideal mother for me.  She provides balance and perspective to me, which I find hard to find with anyone else.  Dave spoke today in sacrament and as we were brainstorming about his talk, he asked me if I had any story to share.  The story/experience which came immediately to my mind was just a few months ago when my mom dropped everything to be out here with me when I so desperately needed her.  Dave was so good to me at this difficult time, but I needed my mom.  I'm not sure there is or was anyone else in the world who could understand, empathize, and help me get my feet back on the ground than she did at this time.  Both Dave and I needed her, and she was there.
Elder Ballard said in his talk last conference:  "There is no one perfect way to be a good mother.  Each situation is unique.  Each mother has different challenges, different skills and ability, and certainly different children.  The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family.  What matters most is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."   
My mom put her family above all else -- ALL else.  I am forever grateful to her for that; for her love, patience, kindness, friendship, and choosing to be a mom when perhaps I (or my siblings) wasn't the easiest to parent.
Happy Mother's Day Mama Nancy.  Love and miss you!

1 comment:

Tyler Waterfall said...

Katie, I loved reading some of your feelings for your mom. I agree--she is wonderful and a great example. I feel so lucky that I married into such a fabulous family!