Wednesday, August 6, 2008

We've only just begun

Dave and I headed to Florida last weekend.  We left Thursday early evening with the expectation of being in Florida by Thursday night around 9 p.m.  Boy were we wrong.  

Our original itinerary took us from St. Louis to Memphis to Fort Walton Beach.  Instead we went from St. Louis to Memphis, diverted to Little Rock for fuel, to Memphis, missed our connecting flight with the offer of flying out Friday NIGHT at 7:50 p.m., or to fly from Memphis to Houston to Fort Walton Friday morning.  I'm really not making this up.  

Of course everything was blamed on "weather."  This means no ticket refunds, no additional flights, no hotel accommodations...nothing.  We called around to a few hotels, which were all booked except for the $59 smoking room at the Econo Lodge.  No way.  

So what'd we do?  Over dinner at the airport Arby's (the only thing open in the airport at this point), we decided to get in the car and drive.  So off we went to Jackson, Mississippi on through Alabama and finally into Florida.  Six states and five hundred-plus miles later, we arrived in Destin on Friday around 1:00 p.m.  Good thing the car was equipped with the Magellan, which never failed.  

3 comments:

Nat and Dave said...

Oh my...that stinks! but...at least you figured something at! What good sports you are! I would not have been very happy about that! I'm sure it ended up being fun though!!

Ashley said...

Are you kidding? What is with the horrible service these days? Well, you are much more patient than me, I would probably still be at the airport yelling at someone. No, that's not true. I don't have the tenacity for that. I'd still be at the airport stewing.

Meg said...

Ah man Katie, that just sucks. Your secret is out:
St. Lious+flying (to/fro)=BAD NEWS!!
Sounds like your trip was great though, I will be settling for Surf n' Swim.
Love you Katie-
Meg