Wednesday, November 11, 2009

You Can Do It!




Today I am thankful to be a woman.
Autumn in St. Louis means leaves.  Lots.  Of.  Leaves.  Dave mulched about 1/3 of our backyard at about 7:00 Monday night.   Neighbors might've cursed the evening noise he was making with the loud lawnmower.  But it was pitch black outside, making him practically invisible as he passed back and forth  through the leaves.  When all was said and done, we ended up with a pile of leaves about four feet high on the back patio.
A couple of days had gone by and those leaves were still sitting out back.  So when I got home from running around today, I headed out with my shovel and brown bags to fill with leaves.  In my poor estimation, I guessed I'd fill two, maybe three bags with leaves.  Wrong.  Really wrong.  I scooped and scooped, stuffed, smashed and scooped some more.  In the end, five bags and one garbage can were bursting at the seams.  Now the task at hand was getting these bags and can to the curb.  I lugged and trudged down the hill and to the street.  I was dusty and several leaves were hanging on to me, but I felt like I had accomplished something.  The mound of leaves was gone.  One less thing for D to do.
Shortly after my leaf feat, I was out front planting some tulip bulbs when my neighbor walked over.  He's a nice older gentleman.  Frank, but very nice.  Well he walked over and asked how those bags got out to the street.  They weren't there earlier today.  I told him that I had carried them to the curb, to which he quickly suggested that I call him next time I have leaves that need to be carried.  "Those bags are much too heavy for you," he chided.  I assured him I was fine and that I appreciated the offer.  Again, he politely requested that I not pick up those heavy bags; he would be happy to help.
Frankly, I could have taken offense to said-neighbor's lack of faith in my ability to take the leaves to the street.  Does he think I'm weak?  I mean, in the end I probably would have pointed out to D how heavy these bags of leaves were in an effort to show off my toughness.  But instead of being offended, I was pleased that my neighbor A) cared enough about us to offer his help, and B) appreciated the work I was doing outside, but knew I had more important things to do.
I am thankful I am strong.  I am thankful that I don't worry about getting dirty and dusty.  I am thankful that I know how to work.  And I am also thankful for a neighbor who respects the work of women and seeks for an opportunity to lighten the load.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I'm thankful that in Kansas City we don't have to rake up any leaves. Know why? The wind just blows them away!