Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas Giving

My parents did me right.  Every year, for as long as I can remember, my parents were sure to help us become involved in Christmas outside of what was under our Christmas tree.  We "adopted" families, gave the 12 Days of Christmas, volunteered at shelters, provided gifts to less fortunate people in our neighborhood, city and even around the world.  I don't share this to toot my own horn.  It is my parents who deserve the praise.  They taught/teach us how to give and not expect something in return -- how to be selfless.  They taught/teach sincerity.  They taught/teach how to love people for who they are and how to love others' uniqueness.  They are superior role models to me and so many others.
Since we've been married, D and I have participated in some sort of Christmas giving, as well.  It's a little different every year depending on where we are and what needs we are aware of.  But I'm struggling a bit this year. I just can't put my finger on what we can do that will really fulfill a need and bring the spirit of Christmas (Christ) to someone or some family.
I've been noodling on this subject for quite some time now.  No lightning rod yet.
What are you doing for Christmas giving this year?

No comments: