Monday, December 7, 2009

Gift Idea #3

Last Christmas, several buns were in the oven.  One baby had just hatched and three more were on the way, or soon-to-be on the way.  Aside from loads of clothing, blankets and newborn essentials, babies mean books.
A thoughtful gift for any new mom- or grandma-to-be is presenting a copy of your favorite childhood story book.  Perhaps you loved The Giving Tree or Where the Wild Things Are or anything Dr. Seuss.  A favorite of mine is The Elephant's Child.  I loved listening to my grandma read it to us in her big black chair about the "great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River" and that elephant's "satiable curiosity."  My grandma's voices were magically entertaining.  I was lucky enough to inherit (a.k.a. pick out for my Christmas gift) the original book which my grandma read to us.  The book itself is of heirloom value to me.  But the story itself that has the most sentimental value.  So last year, after doing some searching, I was able to order a copy of the condensed story, which I gave to my mother-in-law.  Now this story that is so special to me will be on her bookshelf for years to come.  I hope my W will love to hear his grandma's stories as much as I did.  Perhaps your family will too.

No comments: